37 Upper Road
Steeped in architectural history, 37 Upper Road has largely been considered Ross’s most distinguished estate. Completed in 1906 by lead architect John White of the award winning Bernard Maybeck firm (www.maybeck.org), the 6 bedroom, 4 full and 3 half bathroom compound masterfully blends White’s original vision for a world class Arts and Crafts residence with the outstanding, timeless design finishes of a more recent and complete total restoration. The estimated 7 million dollar renovation was recently spearheaded with a contemporary vision of renown Bay Area architect Hans Baldauf (www.bcvarch.com), a graduate of the Yale School of Architecture, founding principal of BCV Architecture, and past chairman of the Maybeck Foundation. Design and furnishings by the iconic San Francisco firm, Paul Wiseman Group, completed the vision for the current owners. The +- 9,560 square foot residence seamlessly integrates classic design materials including old growth redwood paneling, Calacatta marble kitchen and bathrooms, great scale, and magazine worthy, high-end, designer finishes throughout. The traditional and highly desirable (and rarely available) floor plan offers 5 bedrooms on the upper level, with a separate private “guest house within the main house” located on a separate level. The heart of the home is an incredible great room that opens directly to the majestic grounds and outdoor entertaining areas. In addition to the large great room, there are two additional family rooms; ideal for a growing or larger family. Designed for both grand scale entertaining, and more intimate family gatherings, most of the home’s main rooms open to exquisite outdoor living space/s. The residence has previously played host to a myriad of large, important community events. Perfectly site placed on a very private and quiet +-2 acres, the original Thomas Church designed gardens (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Church_(landscape_architect)), provide an outstanding outdoor living experience that includes a large circular pool with rim flow edge, elevated stone spa, park like trees, mature plantings, a beautifully designed outdoor stone fireplace, extensive use of Bluestone, sweeping level lawns, seasonal creek, outdoor kitchen with large outdoor dining area, and symphonic display of year round color. The residence enjoys all day light and stunning views from both the rear and front of the residence. The residence is ideally located just blocks from the award winning K-8th grade Ross School (www.rossbears.org), and blocks from the myriad of outdoor recreational opportunities in the Phoenix Lake area, with immediate access to world class biking and hiking trails.
Main Level: Public Spaces
- Grand scale formal foyer with wood beam ceiling and built-ins.
- Beautifully designed formal powder room offers custom wall coverings, metallic ceiling, high-end fixtures, and custom lighting.
- Large private home office is ideal for telecommuting.
- Formal library/music room includes Maybeck’s original pebble stone tile woodburning fireplace, redwood wall paneling, and glass doors opening to the brick portico; ideal for indoor/outdoor entertaining.
- Magazine worthy living room includes original tile woodburning fireplace, two large sitting areas, and exposed beam ceiling.
- Adjacent formal dining room is also grand in scale and ideal for hosting larger, more formal events. The exquisite dining room opens directly to a large exterior deck which is ideal for enjoying a morning cup of coffee.
- Beautifully designed chef’s kitchen incorporates classic, high-end design materials: Calacatta marble slabs, high-end stainless appliances, a huge center island with bar/counter seating, large walk-in pantry, built-in desk, and large dining area with built-in banquette seating. The kitchen opens directly to the pool and outdoor entertaining areas.
- Adjacent to the kitchen, the fabulous great room/family room overlooks the pool and outdoor entertaining areas.
Main Level: Guest Quarters
- Transitional “bridge” to private guest quarters offers a secondary family/game room with high ceilings and a private deck. Designed in the vein of in-laws, guests, or an au-pair having their own private home within the home, the bespoke guest quarters offers beautifully appointed all white Calacatta marble kitchen with skylight and high-end, stainless appliances.
- Adjacent bedroom, offering tranquility and quiet, has high ceilings.
- Timeless chic Calacatta marble bathroom includes high-end fixtures, a walk-in shower with subway tile surround, and a designer marble and tile floor.
- Hotel like master suite overlooks the circular pool and offers the new owners a large sitting area, two custom built walk-in closets, and a home gym, which also overlooks the pool with custom windows that allow for ample ventilation while working out.
- Magazine worthy master bathroom includes large double vanity with custom cabinets, limestone flooring, private toilet closet, designer lighting, and spa tub.
- Second bedroom on this level has high ceilings, custom bookshelves, and a custom-built closet.
- Beautifully appointed Jack and Jill bathroom connecting the second and third bedrooms has a Calacatta marble slab, a double vanity, ample storage, and beautifully appointed subway tile shower surround.
- Third bedroom on this level offers high ceilings, a window seat, and a custom-built closet and bookshelves.
- Fourth bedroom on this level also has high ceilings, a built-in window seat, custom built closets, and an en-suite bathroom. The en-suite bathroom includes Calacatta marble and white subway tile surround design with custom lighting and additional vanity area.
- Upper level family room, conveniently located close to the four bedrooms, offers high ceilings and wainscot walls.
- Incredible, large walk-in laundry room offers marble slab, ample storage, and sink. Adjacent to the laundry room is a HUGE walk-in closet which is ideal for linen and towel storage.
- Second home office is conveniently located on this level and includes extensive built-ins, a window seat, and fireplace.
- Upper level powder room includes a pedestal sink and custom tile floor; this powder room is plumbed for a full bath if needed or wanted.
- Fifth bedroom on this level is currently used as a sleeping porch and opens to a deck; the fifth bedroom on this level is ideal for sleepovers!
- Staircase from the bedroom wing leads to an additional +-768 square foot upper level playroom which can be ideal for playing music or performing home theater/plays. Additional storage is adjacent to the playroom.
- Large mudroom with slate flooring and wainscot walls includes extensive built-ins and ample storage.
- State of the art, walk-in custom wine cellar with extensive storage capacity.
- Tool room/workshop.
- 4 car garage with sink and flower putting area.
- Powder room is conveniently located on this level and offers a single vanity with milled woodwork walls.
- Straight out of Architectural Digest, the +-180 square foot designer kitchen includes high-end stainless appliances, limestone counters, custom lighting, milled woodwork, high ceilings, and retractable windows which are ideal for pass /-through daily entertaining and catering larger events outside. The outdoor kitchen opens directly to a Napa like outdoor dining area and exterior stone fireplace.
- Second laundry room under the outdoor kitchen is ideally located adjacent to the outdoor entertainment areas.
- +-190 square foot changing room includes wainscot walls, slate floor, ample hooks/storage, and high ceilings. There is an adjacent pool bathroom with high-end fixtures and finishes that include a limestone slab/single vanity and resort like outdoor shower.
- Ample storage throughout- Per Floorplan Visuals, the total calculated storage is 869 square feet.
- Outdoor built-in heaters for cooler evening dinners.
- Two staircases from main to upper level of home.
- 6 zone heat and air conditioning throughout.
- Nuheat radiant system in upper level bathroom floors and formal powder room.
- Radiant heat in sleeping porch or 6th bedroom.
- Radiant heat in master bedroom.
- Security system.
- Saltwater chlorination system for pool.
- Solar heat for pool.
- Fully fenced and gated for privacy.
- Sonos sound system with keypads.
- Lutron Lighting system.
- Three woodburning fireplaces and one gas fireplace.
- Ample off-street parking for up to 10 cars on both driveways.
- Gated double entrance.